AppAnnie.com recently published an article about the importance of localization and some key statistics on the global market share for app revenue.
- The U.S. only accounted for 28% of free downloads and 34% of global revenue share for iPhone apps.
- Korea, China and other East Asian countries prefer to download apps in Chinese and make up the largest portion of app download activity behind the U.S.
Consider that the countries in the top 10 for downloads and revenue for iOS apps are non-English speaking countries. According to 2011 data, the U.S. only made up 34% of the iOS global revenue share, the remaining 66% of the revenue comes from the rest of the world.
“North of 60% of the top 25 iPhone apps in Korea have Korean names and the other East Asian countries Japan, Taiwan and China lie between 30% and 60%. Nearly 50% of the top 25 apps in China are Chinese language apps. Clearly the propensity of users in these countries to download and to spend money within English-language apps is much lower than in other countries. And understandably. If one really wants to break into the charts for East Asian countries, you really need to think about localization of your app into their native language to increase your chances.” – source: http://blog.appannie.com/localization-entry/
It is clear that localization helps you market your app globally and reach the larger market outside the U.S. and other English speaking countries. If you find it cumbersome to localize in all the languages that would be marketable for your app, you should consider localization for China and Japan, since they run just behind the U.S. in revenue market share, even more than the UK. Germany is a fast growing market as well.
When we see the 2012 data, it’s likely going to show amazing growth for iOS global revenue, and never a more important time to start thinking about localizing your apps.
Check out this case for localization:
We’ve designed TraductoPro to handle the process of localization in the fastest, easiest way possible and we’re always improving the app so you can internationalize your apps and tap into the global market share more conveniently than any other method. The cost is very affordable and we have had great feedback from Mac and iOS app developers, so don’t forget to visit our blog often for new case studies and articles about how TraductoPro helps app developers ease the pain of localization.